There are so many discounts available nowadays to seniors. Retirees can oftentimes receive all kinds of specials at restaurants, retailers, and even parks!
While most people are perfectly aware of the most common ones, such as discounts on your favorite meals, lots of people are completely unaware or don’t even ask about those serious discounts that would really matter to their wallet!
In fact, how familiar are you with discounts on entertaining events? Or about discounts on car insurance? I think you will find this article incredibly useful, as you will find out that you can easily save for retirement DURING retirement.
Saving on groceries
As the costs of living are still rising and the cost of food is getting even more expensive, discounts made especially for seniors on food can prove to be extremely helpful, as they might lighten the monthly loads.
Depending on where you live, your favorite grocery store or market will offer a great discount for retirees who are either 55 or 65 and older. Some of the best examples on this matter include:
- Albertson’s, which has a 10% off first Wednesday of every month (55+)
- American Discount Stores, that comes with a 10% off every Monday (50+)
- Fry’s Supermarket, where you can get free Fry’s VIP Club Membership & 10% off every Monday (55+)
- Great Valu Food Store, which has 5% off every Tuesday (60+)
- Harris Teeter: 5%
Saving on car insurance
A clean driving record will always prove to be helpful, but saving on car insurance is definitely one of those golden advantages that seniors are looking forward to, and for a good reason! Lots of insurance companies will reward years and years of good driving with more than 55 discounts.
That’s why you have to make sure to do your due diligence and go shopping around, so you can find the best deals that suit you!
Financial and medical assistance programs made for seniors
As retirement is the perfect time to sit back, relax, and enjoy life, the last thing you might want to do is to worry about crushing debt. So if you currently have a debt to pay, there are many options for you.
First, you can some help from the NCOA’s Economic CheckUp, which is known to help seniors reduce their debt, find work, cut spending and learn more about using their home equity.
Also, the NCOAs can also offer Benefits CheckUp, which is meant for limited-income seniors the help them find which of the 2,000 public and private benefits programs might be eligible for.
And lastly, seniors might benefit from interacting with volunteer specialists that work at the Senior Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP). Seniors can work with the staff from SHIP, whether in person or over the phone, as it is a part of a federal program,
Install a walk-in tub
Besides the fact that it will bring you the comfort you never thought you could have, it can also save your life. While getting a walk-in tube sounds like something very rich people would get, when you’re over 65 years old, it will feel like a necessity!
Why? Because every year, there are at least 300,000 older people who are hospitalized for hip fractures, and more than 95% of these hip fractures are usually caused by falling, and most of the time we’re talking about falling sideways.
Older adult falls are even more unforgiving because they can signify the “end of independence”, according to CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention).
Install a home alarm system
Did you know that students and ESPECIALLY elderly people are the most vulnerable victims of residential burglaries? So consider this, besides the fact that a home without a security system is even three times more likely to be broken into than a home that has one.
Installing a home alarm system also has various benefits. Not only could save more money on discounts, but you could also benefit by lowering your insurance as a direct result of the fact that you have a burglar alarm installation.
Enjoy your favorite shows for free
Streaming sites such as Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime are on the rise right now, so the natural question is: does anyone still watch cable TV? Let’s say that if you’re in the mood for a movie you could easily find an alternative without having cable TV.
But, what do you do when you need to catch the local news, weather, and even some shows? There aren’t any kind of substitutes for cable TV, and until there will be some, you could consider getting a power indoor TV antenna!
Because, unlike satellites, it won’t require installation. Even better, as many options support 1080p HDTV and can have as much as 30 miles of range.
Eat out on a lower dime
This is definitely one of those deal makers that seniors ALWAYS knew about. However, do you know what’s the sheer extent to which you can actually enjoy eating out?
There are so many more restaurants than you might have realized, that offer some of the best discounts! While the list could go on endlessly (more or less), here are some of your favorite restaurants with senior discounts:
- Applebee’s: 15% off with Golden Apple Card (60+)
- Arby’s: 10% off (55+)
- Ben & Jerry’s: 105 off (60+)
- Boston Market: 10% off (65+)
- Burger King: 10% off (60+)
- Chick-Fil-A: 10% off or free small drink or coffee (55+)
- Chili’s: 10% off (55+)
- Denny’s: 10% off, 20% off for AARP members (55+)
- Dunkin’ Donuts: 10% off or free coffee (55+)
- Fuddrucker’s: 10% off any senior platter (55+)
- Gatti’s Pizza: 10% off (60+)
- Hardee’s: $0.33 beverages everyday (65+)
- IHOP: 10% off (55+)
- Tea Room Cafe: 10% off (50+)
- Village Inn: 105 off every Monday (60+)
- Wendy’s: 10% off (55+)
- White Castle: 10% off (62%)
Shop until you drop!
There are so many well-known department stores that will give you amazing discounts for seniors! For example:
- Goodwill is offering seniors a discount of 10%
- Every Wednesday, Kohl’s has discounts of 15% for seniors who are 60 and over
- Seniors who love going to Ross Stores will love their “Every Tuesday Club”, which is a discount club with a card for customers 55 and older. With this card, you are eligible for a 10% in-store discount for every purchase you made on a Tuesday.
- The Salvation Army thrift stores will give you up to 50% off if you’re 55 and older
- Dress Barn has discounts for seniors who are 62 and older of 10%, every Tuesday and Wednesday.
Whether you’re going to an aerobics class or heading to the gym in order to improve your mobility, there are so many gym memberships and fitness centers that will offer discounts for seniors, you won’t even know where to choose from!
The first example would be Bally Total Fitness, which offers up to %100 off on memberships for seniors who are 62 and older. Also, every year at Planet Fitness, seniors who are over the age of 60 can easily work out for free from Sunday, August 21, to Wednesday, August 31.
If you sign up during this particular time, you can easily join for a special rate of only $99 for the whole year.
Discounts on hotel rooms
If you love traveling now and then, why not look for discounts in that area, too? You can make a chance out of the whole trip and learn new stuff and experiences while saving money at the same time:
- Cambria Suites: 20%-30% off (60+)
- Clarion Motels: 20%-30% off (60+)
- Comfort Inn: 20%-30% off (60+)
- Comfort Suites: 20%-30% off (60+)
- Econo Lodge: 20%-30% off (60+)
- Motel 6: 10% off (60+)
- Myrtle Beach Resort: 10% off (55+)
- Quality Inn: 20%-30% off (60+)
- Rodeway Inn: 20%-30% off (60+)
- Sleep Inn: 20%-30% off (60+)
If you enjoyed reading this article, we also recommend reading: Big Retirement Fears? 5 Things You Probably Didn’t Consider Enough